Q. What causes pain in my chest region while coughing, though my chest x-ray is normal?

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

I have postnasal drip, and I get sneezing often. I feel pain on coughing. The pain is localized to the right chest region. My x-ray is entirely normal, and there is no abnormality. My doctor said that I have GERD. I never had this issue before. I do not have any other allergies or health issues.

Kindly help.

#

Thanks for the briefing regarding the problem in concern.

Constant irritation in the throat with post nasal drip can be due to two major reasons;

1) Allergic issues in the nose, wherein there is some irritative substance entering, and initially, the node produces a sneezing reflex to remove the offending agent. In addition, the nasal mucosa produces mucus to trap the offending agent so that it does not go into your lungs along with your breath. Irritative substances usually include dust, smoke, fumes, pollen, animal dander. It will help if you take adequate precautions by wearing an n95 mask.

You can also consider the following;

• Take tablet containing Acetyl Cysteine twice daily after food for ten days.
  • Take a tablet containing Fexofenadine and Levocetirizine twice daily after food for ten days.
  • Do salt water gargling eight to ten times a day for one month.
  • Keep sipping on boiled warm water every two hours for the next one month.
  • Duonase nasal spray (Fluticasone propionate and Azelastine) two puffs in each nostril twice daily for the next one month.

The other co-existing problem could be chronic silent GERD with LPR (gastroesophageal reflux with laryngopharyngeal reflux). The acidic gastric contents reflux back into your throat, causing inflammation, irritation, and often a laryngospasm. This often causes a foreign body sensation in the throat.

You can consider the following advice for GERD;

• Keep a strict diet and eat on time.
  • Kindly avoid oily, spicy food and cold beverages.
  • Reduce the quantity of each meal and increase the frequency of your meals.
  • Keep a gap of two hours between meals and going to bed or exercise.
  • Try to maintain a left lateral position when you lie down.
  • Take syrup containing antacid one tablespoon thrice daily before food for one month.
  • Take tablet Pan-D (Pantoprazole and Domperidone) once daily in the morning before breakfast for one month.

This typically takes around three to four weeks for things to subside.

I hope I have answered your query in detail.

Warm regards.

|