Q. Having ocular hypertension,will it lead to glaucoma? Is there a risk of blindness?

Dr. Dada Peer K
This is a premium question & answer published on May 10, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I would like to have a remote eye view on a question related to glaucoma.

• I am 35 years old and I am being followed for 5 years for ocular hypertension.
  • I have between 23 and 26 mmHg by applanation tonometer.
  • My field of vision is good.
  • Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) examinations are good.
  • And my optic nerves seem normal.
  • During the first 4 years I had followed every six months.
  • I do not have any treatment for the moment.

Given my age, this worries me somewhat. So, I would like to get your opinion in response to some of my questions:

• Given my young age and this pressure, will it likely lead to glaucoma?
  • My potential life expectancy is still important, is there a risk of blindness?
  • I have a 4 years old boy, when should he start being examined for this problem?
  • I would like to have more children, however, I wonder about the risk of transmitting a possible glaucoma which slows me yet.

#

I reviewed your history. It seems from the history that you are having ocular hypertension. Since the results of visual field, optic disc changes and OCT are normal, there is no glaucoma. But treatment of ocular hypertension is necessary for you to prevent development of glaucoma. Hence, you need to start the treatment and aim should be to bring the intraocular pressure below 16 mmHg and keep it around 14-15 mmHg.

If treatment and follow up is done, the risk of blindness is minimal or nil but better follow up and treatment is important in your case.

• But do remember not all children will have glaucoma, only evaluation is required.
  • If there is no glaucoma then the risk is same as for general population.

Hope it helps.

Consult an eye care ophthalmologist online for further clarifications --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|