Q. My mom always feels some irritation in her throat. Why?

Dr. Alok Rathi
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

This query is for my mother. All the time she feels something stuck in her throat. The test we already done are endoscopy and scan. But, nothing abnormal has been revealed. She is still suffering from throat irritation feeling. Please help.

Dr. Alok Rathi

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• Feeling something stuck in throat like foreign body sensation is common in females and is called as globus pharyngis (some constant feeling of obstruction in throat).
  • It is very common and nothing much to worry.  It is supposed to be caused due to acidity and gastric reflux.
  • What you can understand is that the acid from stomach comes into throat and it causes burn and swelling. This swelling will be felt as something is there.
  • So, she can forget about it. My advice is to relax and avoid stress.
  • If she alter her diet and follow some lifestyle changes including any acids, then she will be fine.
  • But, remember, it is difficult to totally get rid of this sensation as it is difficult for females to stop worrying and take stress.
  • We also have to rule out any malignancy in throat in such conditions. As her endoscopy is normal nothing to worry about.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|