iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersInternal Medicinegroin pullHow to manage pain in groin and activity restriction?

What should I do for pain in groin and activity restriction?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Sivanath

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 24, 2018
Reviewed AtFebruary 19, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I have had mild right-side groin pain for about two years, making it very difficult to run. One morning, I woke up unable to use my right leg because of the severity of the pain. I was very active then, so I assumed it was a sprain in or around the groin. The pain got better about a week later, but I felt pain whenever I tried to run. Recently, I suffered from some kind of undiagnosed burning during urination, right-side testicle pain, and groin pain, even though my blood work and urine test came back fine. The burning and testicle pain has subsided, but the groin pain has stayed and intensified compared to the prior infection. I was sent in for an ultrasound, and my doctor said everything was fine. I told him that I was sure my groin lymph nodes were mildly swollen. He touched the area and said I was fine. I am not a thin guy and have a bit of fat in that area, so I think he had trouble feeling them. I still feel mildly swollen lymph nodes in my right side groin, and I still have pain when I attempt to run. I believe my lymph nodes have been the root of all my pain, but I cannot seem to get the doctor to believe me. I looked at a diagram of groin lymph nodes, where I felt pain and mild swelling. What should I do? I am lost. Please guide me.

Answered by Dr. sivanath


Welcome to icliniq.com.

To allay your anxiety, let me open my answer that an inguinal lymph node of up to 1 cm in size is acceptable. The exact size must be mentioned on the ultrasound.

Usually, the lymph node is not painful to cause so much motility limitation.

Now coming back to your diagnosis, if the pain worsens on standing, then I would like to think of a hernia. It could be direct or indirect and need examination and ultrasound in a standing position. I would also like to examine testicular sensation. If testicular pain is accompanied, then a Doppler is recommended. However, since you have visited a doctor who I believe must have thought these, I would suggest a muscle relaxant for three days. The reason can also be due to a muscle pull, especially if you do a lot of abdominal crunches. Tolperisone is my favorite for up to three times a day. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her, and take medicine with consent. If the pain responds to the muscle relaxant, then it is muscular, and you need not worry. Continue the drug for 5 to 7 days in that case, or else we will evaluate further.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. sivanath
Dr. sivanath

Internal Medicine

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Internal Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy