Q. Can diabetes medication be stopped as HbA1c has reached 5. 6?

Answered by Dr. Suneetha B S.

Do you have a question on Hba1c or Diabetes During Pregnancy? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

This is with respect to the health condition of my wife. She was diagnosed with type-2 diabetes with HbA1c of 10 three months back and was prescribed with Jalra (50/500), Invokana (100). We consulted a dietitian as well and went on exercise with full diet control. Took the HbA1c results yesterday and was found to be 5.6 with CBC-hemoglobin-13.2.

Her doctor was surprised and was not able to believe. He changed the medication to Melmet SR 500 mg and retained Invokana and told us to take it for next three months. Please advise us whether to go on with the tablets as we heard that for this level of HbA1c tablets are not required? We want to fight it with diet and exercise.

We want to switch to Ayurveda. So, is this the right time?

The doctor advised that we should compulsorily be administered with Insulin if we are planning for pregnancy. We are planning in the next year though. Please advise whether do we have to compulsorily be using Insulin? Is there no other alternative?