Q. I have pressure sensation in the temporal region throughout the day for the past ten days. Why?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I am a 40-year-old female, and I have temporal pressure in the head all day for ten days and muscle tension in the cheekbones. There are no other symptoms. No dizziness. What can it be? I did an MRI of the head three months ago, all clear, and a blood test four days ago which was also all clear. I went to an Ophthalmologist, and I have astigmatism in both eyes.

#

I understand your concern. Based on the information given, I know that you have had pressure sensations in the temporal region throughout the day for the last ten days. You are also experiencing tightness in the cheekbones. There are few medical conditions that can present the way you described your symptoms.

1. Tension headache, which is a constant headache, can be localized to the temporal region or back of the head. Remains so throughout the day. They are usually seen in those who have been thinking a lot about certain situations in personal or professional life. In simple words, it is because of unnecessarily worrying about something. Keeping calm and avoiding overthinking can help. An over-the-counter pain killer can help.

2. Cluster headache. They are usually seen behind the eyes and around the temporal region with watering and redness of eyes. Such headaches come and go in clusters and hence the name. There is definitive treatment available that can be used once the diagnosis is confirmed.

3.Migraine. A common cause of headache, especially in women if your age. Headache remains for few days every month. You may experience stretching of muscles, visual disturbances, vomiting sensation, weakness, or numbness in the hands.

4. Pathology in the eye. Increased pressure within the eye or too much difference in the refractive error between two eyes can lead to constant effort to focus, and patients may experience a headache. Though you have mentioned astigmatism, I am not sure how severe it is. I also hope you have been prescribed corrective glasses for the same.

5.Trigeminal neuralgia. A condition involving nerve over the cheekbone leading to headache and tightness in muscles overlying cheekbones. There are a variety of reasons why this should happen. In all the conditions mentioned above, can have a normal MRI of the brain as there is no structural damage. The last condition may show up if there is nerve compression leading to swelling of the nerve.

You will require further evaluation by a neurologist to see what is causing your headache. One may have to do a certain physical examination to elicit certain signs indicative of underlying diagnosis, which I can't do remotely. However, your doctor, preferably a neurologist, can do those and treat them accordingly.

Take Care.

|