Q. I am really worried that I might get heart attack. Please advice.

Dr. Sukhvinder Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 14, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Six months back while travelling in the bus, I got sharp pain in the chest. My heart started beating fast and I had sweat a lot. Then I rushed to the doctor. They carried out ecg, echo, tmt and also blood tests and all turned out to be normal. The doctor that it was anxiety and acidity.

Still now I have some chest pain and backache. I am really worried that I might get heart attack or I might have fat deposition in my heart. Can you please go through my reports and advice.

#

I have gone through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Sharp pain is not a characteristic feature of anginal pain. 
  • In presence of normal TMT, ECHO, ECG and blood tests, especially if symptoms were not reproduced during TMT, the likelihood of pain in question to be anginal is very low.
  • Your ECG does not show any significant ST, Q or T wave changes suggestive of heart attack.
  • Your cholesterol or lipid profile is within normal limits.
  • Your ECHO report does not depict any serious abnormality.

Since the pain which happened in bus was not anginal, you must not worry. For your information, anxiety or excessive worry is itself a cause of heart attack.

There is no test available with medical sciences which can predict occurrence of heart attack. You can only take precautions and having a healthy life style in place.These include avoiding smoking and alcohol, good control of blood pressure/ sugar/ cholesterol, daily exercise, maintaining optimal weight and avoiding stress.

For further queries, consult a cardiologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

If it is not from heart and all tests are normal, why am I getting a sharp pain in chest and back too?

#

• It is not always possible to pinpoint the cause of symptoms merely by history. However, sharp pains of long duration can be due to muscular injury, posture related problems, nerve related problems which may not be significant. Occasional transient infrequent pain may be a normal variant.
  • Worry, anxiety, coffee, tea, smoking, stress all can cause this. Please refrain yourself from thinking too much on the issue. Avoid smoking/ tea/coffee. 
  • I would suggest you to consult a physician for clinical examination to rule out any serious issue unrelated to heart. If there is no serious issue, you should try ignoring the symptoms. At least try to think positive about the overall issue.

Revert back to cardiologist online for further follow up -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|