Q. My mother has severe heart problem, and her feet and ankles are swollen. Please help.

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
This is a premium question & answer published on May 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 07, 2021

My mother is 62 years old. She has a severe heart problem. She has high blood pressure for a long time but she is not taking any medication. Now her feet and ankles are swollen. The doctor suggested her to take Triforge 5/160 12.5 mg with Loprin 75 mg. Her blood pressure is under control now but she seems to have a high heart rate, palpitations, and cold sweating. She is taking Epival for three years. Please help me.

#

Your mother is taking good medicines. In this age, medicines can cause electrolyte imbalance and renal function impairment. So blood urea, creatinine, and electrolytes should be taken after starting this medicine within a week. Swelling of feet can occur due to right heart failure and doing ECG (electrocardiogram) and echocardiography helps in diagnosing it. It can also be caused due to liver issues and do serum albumin as soon as possible. Urine R/M (urine routine and microscopy) is a baseline test and it has to be done. I am suggesting these tests because these patients can have a vast differential diagnosis and these tests helps to narrow down the cause and helps to know the basic metabolic status to guide dosage adjustments.

|