Q. My mother has severe heart problem, and her feet and ankles are swollen. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on May 23, 2020

Age: 62 years

My mother has severe heart problem. She had high blood pressure from long time but didnt get any medication. Now her feet and ankles are swollen. A doctor recommended Triforge 5/160/12.5+Loprin 75mg. Her BP is managed now, but she feels high heart rate, palpitations and cold sweating. Please help me; i cant afford hospital expenditures. Waiting for your kind and helpful response.

P.S: She is also taking epival from last 3 years.

# Thanks for the query

Medicine is good, but in this age this medicine may cause electrolytes imbalance and renal function impairment. So blood urea, creatinine and Electrolytes should be done after starting of this medicines within one week.

Regarding cardiac point of view, swelling of feet may be caused by right heart failure. Have ECG and Echocardiography done to diagnose it.

Other causes are liver related. Have serum albumin done.

Urine D/R is a baseline test.

I am advising these tests because differential diagnosis of these complaints are vast and test may help narrow down these and know basic metabolic status to guide dosage adjustments.


Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Kindly suggest a treatment for my brother's heart problem.

Query: Hello doctor,For a few months, my brother is suffering from cough with asthma. When we consulted our doctor, he asked us to get a few tests like echo and CT scan. From the test reports, he was detected with some heart problem. Some doctors said that as thrombus and some said as mass. I have attached...  Read Full »

What are the causes of swollen ankles and legs?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having extreme swelling from under the breast to the belly. My legs and feet are also very swollen and painful. I have gained 40 pounds in two years with no change in diet or activity. My lower legs and ankles were swollen about a year ago. I went through all the horrible heart test...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for inguinal lymphadenopathy.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 55 year old male. I am suffering from inguinal lymphadenopathy. 2 years ago I have this on right side and now on left side. There is a square shallow knot present on the right side now. I have stiffness and rigidity especially in the left arm and occasional limited movements. Also...  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.