Q. I am bleeding after 10 months of my delivery and it is severe. Should I expect this?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

I had normal vaginal delivery 10 months ago and breastfeeding my baby. Since then I did not have my periods. But yesterday, around 10 PM I felt some brown stains, but I started worrying when I saw the flow as it is really heavy. I used three pads in three hours and that too there were literally in a situation of dripping. I do not know whether I should expect this or not? Could you please help me to find the problem and any medication I can go for?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

While a woman is breastfeeding post-delivery, menstrual cycles usually do not resume until 6-12 months, and it will vary from person to person. This is like a natural birth control devices by nature to prevent subsequent pregnancies at a shorter interval. But however, this is not 100% effective.

The excessive bleeding that you experienced is definitely not normal even if you have resumed your cycles. One possibility is that you could have ovulated and got pregnant in the same cycle before you could get your actual periods, and it got miscarried (if you were not using any birth control methods). So I would advise to check your urine pregnancy test once if there is any history of sexual intercourse.

The second possibility could be excessive bleeding due to other causes like fibroids or any other structural problems or hormonal disturbances which will have to be evaluated. Please get an ultrasound if possible to look for the same.

Meanwhile, to control your excessive bleeding, I prescribe some medications which will help to control your flow. Please feel free to revert back with the urine pregnancy test results to rule out the possibility of pregnancy first.

Urine pregnancy test. Ultrasound abdomen and pelvis.

Tablet Tranexa (Tranexamic acid) 500 mg thrice daily after food.

Follow up with the urine pregancy test results.

|