Q. Can you read my MRI and explain the reason for heel pain?

Dr. Vivek Chail
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 22, 2020

I am suffering from right heel pain for the last 11 months. All conservative measures exhausted. I had an MRI today. Can you read the MRI and provide a report?

#

Please find my observations on the MRI scan of your right heel below.

• There is increased thickness observed in the calcaneal insertion of the plantar fascia with increased signal intensity on T1 and TIRM sequence, which suggests plantar fasciitis.
  • Alignment of right ankle joint appears normal. Normal signal morphology of articular surfaces. Marrow signal of the bones is normal.
  • There is mild soft tissue edema around the talocalcaneal joint, especially posteriorly.
  • Tendons and ligaments show normal signal intensity. Neurovascular structures and muscles are normal in signal intensity.
  • Impression - Features are suggestive of plantar fasciitis and mild soft tissue edema around the talocalcaneal joint.

For further information consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

Did you take a measurement of the thickness of the plantar fascia?

#

• If the thickness of the plantar fascia exceeds beyond 4.5 mm, then plantar fasciitis is suspected.
  • There is also a small area of likely fluid in the calcaneal insertion.

For further doubts consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

|