Q. What are the ways to improve height?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
Published on Sep 09, 2019

I just turned 18 two months back. I am 5'8.5". Over this summer, all my friends have grown very tall and I have not grown an inch. Not even this year, I did not grow an inch. People tell me I have a lean physique and I am tall for my age and they say I may grow up till 6'1". That is my goal. I weigh 59 kg. My mother is 5'5/6" and my dad is 5'8". I used to be known as a tall kid before the summer, now I seem short. It troubles me. I am not very built, I am quite thin and over summer I actually did not eat enough food which may be a problem. I just want you to give me hope that I can grow tall and give me tips on how I can improve it.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

Your final height will be determined by your genetics, eating good nutritious food, keeping yourself physically active by exercise and maintaining good posture. You will continue to gain height till puberty is complete. You are already nearly 5'9" which is good. It is difficult to predict your eventual height accurately, mid-parental height helps but has its limitations. Do not compare with your friends as each person grows at a different pace. Eat well daily with adequate intake of fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and nuts. Keep yourself active. Play regularly. Take adequate rest and sleep well to aid your body to recuperate well. Take care.

Is there any supplement that my brother can take to grow taller?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother is a 15 year old boy. I am 157 cm, which I think is short for a 15 year old. Is there any supplement or vitamin that he can take to grow taller?  Read Full »

Please suggest a diet plan to lose weight.

Query: Hi doctor, I have gastric problem. Can you suggest me diet plan to lose weight with consideration of my gastric problem. Please specify any precautions to be taken and mention the source of food. I am attaching my medical reports which I have done before six months. Thank you.  Read Full »

Suggest me any medicine and guide me reduce weight.

Query: Hi, I am 20 years old. My weight is 65 kg. My height is 5' 5". I want to lose my weight about 4 to 5 kg. Please suggest me any medicine to reduce weight.  Read Full »