Q. What are the ways to improve height?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

I just turned 18 two months back. I am 5'8.5". Over this summer, all my friends have grown very tall and I have not grown an inch. Not even this year, I did not grow an inch. People tell me I have a lean physique and I am tall for my age and they say I may grow up till 6'1". That is my goal. I weigh 59 kg. My mother is 5'5/6" and my dad is 5'8". I used to be known as a tall kid before the summer, now I seem short. It troubles me. I am not very built, I am quite thin and over summer I actually did not eat enough food which may be a problem. I just want you to give me hope that I can grow tall and give me tips on how I can improve it.

Do you have a question on Height Increase or Balanced Diet?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

MBBS., DCH., MRCPCH., MRCPSYCH., CCT ( CHILD & ADOLESCENT PSYCHIATRY
Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry

Your final height will be determined by your genetics, eating good nutritious food, keeping yourself physically active by exercise and maintaining good posture. You will continue to gain height till puberty is complete. You are already nearly 5'9" which is good. It is difficult to predict your eventual height accurately, mid-parental height helps but has its limitations. Do not compare with your friends as each person grows at a different pace. Eat well daily with adequate intake of fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and nuts. Keep yourself active. Play regularly. Take adequate rest and sleep well to aid your body to recuperate well. Take care.

Is there any supplement that my brother can take to grow taller?
Query: Hello doctor, My brother is a 15 year old boy. I am 157 cm, which I think is short for a 15 year old. Is there any supplement or vitamin that he can take to grow taller?  Read Full >>
Dr. Vandana Andrews

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Height is quite a concern for teens. We have to figure out that the height we have is predominately a genetic factor. So, traits like height, hair, eyes and facial expression we get it from our ancestor. If your parents are tall, then there are ...  Read Full

Please suggest a diet plan to lose weight.
Query: Hi doctor, I have gastric problem. Can you suggest me diet plan to lose weight with consideration of my gastric problem. Please specify any precautions to be taken and mention the source of food. I am attaching my medical reports which I have done before six months. Thank you.  Read Full >>
Dr. Manidipa Dey
Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to follow a high protein, low calorie and low fat balanced diet. Do not skip your breakfast. To control gastric problem you need to take food at proper interval. Do not let your stomach empty for a longer time. For hypertension avoid table salt intake and use l...  Read Full

Suggest me any medicine and guide me reduce weight.
Query: Hi, I am 20 years old. My weight is 65 kg. My height is 5' 5". I want to lose my weight about 4 to 5 kg. Please suggest me any medicine to reduce weight.  Read Full >>
Dr. Suneetha B S
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The best way to reduce weight is by regular physical exercise and balanced diet. You can lose weight by reducing your intake of oily food and sweets. It is also important to space your meals in such a way that you have more frequent, small meals (and not hea...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now