Q. How to manage H. pylori infection?

Dr. Uphar Gupta
Published on Jul 14, 2016

I am an 18 year old male. I have been experiencing a wide range of symptoms for nearly a year. It all started in the last summer. I started to experience constant vomiting after eating, bloating and weight loss. Then, I was diagnosed with a Dientamoeba fragilis infection and given a course of antibiotics. I thought I would get better after this, but that was not the case. I was treated for the bacteria and I still have symptoms like occasional vomiting, a lot of weight loss (15-20 pounds), bloating and abdominal swelling. The doctor did a bunch of blood tests and said he did not see anything wrong. The vomiting stopped, but I still experience the symptoms and not gaining any weight. So, my doctor referred me to a gastroenterologist. I told him about my symptoms, which are as follows. GERD, weight loss, occasional abdominal pain, abdominal swelling and bloating, malnutrition, alternating diarrhea and constipation, and heart issues like racing heart and heart palpitations. My sister has celiac disease. My gastroenterologist has done an endoscopy and said he does not think that I have celiac and he said Helicobacter pylori might be a possibility. I am really worried because I have got a lot of blood tests and everything came out fine, except Vitamin B12 and D deficiency. So, I just want to know if you think that I could have Helicobacter pylori. I am really anxious. Please explain as soon as possible and share any other possible illnesses that I could have based on my symptoms. Thank you.

Dr. Uphar Gupta

#

• Your symptoms can be explained by Helicobacter pylori easily.
  • H.pylori infects the lining of the stomach, causes increased acid production and (gastroesophageal reflux disease) GERD as one of the main symptoms. It is a pretty common disease worldwide and is very easily manageable.
  • As far as celiac is concerned, it is a diagnosis of histology. If after GI endoscopy and possibly biopsy your doctor said it is unlikely, then it must be so.
  • H.pylori can be easily managed with triple drug regimen (Amoxicillin, Clarithromycin and a proton pump inhibitor) over a period of 21 days and as you are a thin individual GERD will resolve soon as well malabsorption symptoms.
  • My suggestion is to take bland diet with less wheat. If you become better within a week, then take Amoxicillin, Omeprazole and Tinidazole combination twice daily for 21 days to wipe out H.pylori. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

Can I give P-250 and Amoxicillin for fever to 3 years old child?

Query: Hi doctor, My son age 3 years old has a fever since yesterday noon, till now I have given six times P-250 5 ml dosage, the fever reduces and comes back in three hours. The temperature goes 102.8 F in the underarm. Now at 2.30 PM, I have given Amoxicillin 125 mg 5 ml with P-250. Otherwise, he is nor...  Read Full >>

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. A fever has multiple causes, the most common causes are viral fever, throat inflammation. Usually, these illness does not require antibiotics (Amoxicillin). Antibiotics should be started only in a bacterial infection that too after doctor's re...  Read Full

I have GERD. Can you suggest any treament?

Query: Hello Doctor, I have been suffering from stomach ulcer for the past 2 years. Till now the ulcer was not severe, but since few days I have been having stomach pain everytime after having food. Doctor diagnosed that, I have GERD. But even then I faced GERD problems rarely. But for the past 3 weeks ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. At the age of 24 year it is unlikely that you have ulcer in the stomach. It could be GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) that is causing all these symptoms, but after long time it may cause ulcer. If you are not responding to PPIs (Proton-Pump Inhibitors) then it co...  Read Full

I am having sore throat. How can I cure it?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been having a sore throat for past one week. The pain is mild but constant, it feels as if there is something is stuck in the back of my throat or on my tongue, but nothing is there. There is redness around the area. I went to the doctor five days back and was prescribed a 10 day...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to have granular pharyngitis (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your throat looks chronically infected. Do you have post nasal drip as well that means does phlegm drains down from your nose to throat? It is suggestive of sinusitis which can recur...  Read Full