Q. My hepatitis E result is 9. 4 u/ml with yellow eyes. Please suggest medication.

Dr. Kapil Gupta

I am 16 years old. My eyes were yellow, ALT level was 226, Hepatitis E result was 9.4 u/ml. I went to a gastroenterologist for checking and he prescribed me few medicines Siliver, Sulvorid, Dexxoo. In the follow up he prescribed me Ipride. After taking that medicine I am having loose motion and feeling cold now.

#

From your symptoms and your test reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it looks like you have viral hepatitis, particularly hepatitis E. Viral hepatitis affects your liver cells and causes their inflammation which can lead to dysfunction in the normal functioning of the liver. The disease can vary from being self-limiting to highly fulminant. Hepatitis E has been known to lead to fulminant hepatitis which has quite a high mortality.

The course of infection has two phases, the prodromal phase, and the icteric phase.

Prodromal-phase symptoms include myalgia, arthralgia, fever, anorexia, nausea, vomiting, weight loss, dehydration, and right upper quadrant pain.

Icteric-phase symptoms may last days to several weeks and include jaundice (yellowish discoloration of skin and eyes), dark urine, light-colored stools, itching (pruritus).

I would request to see a doctor and get admitted as soon as possible for further evaluation. Your liver enzymes have to be monitored regularly along with pt/INR (prothrombin time) report to see whether liver is synthesizing the clotting enzymes well.

Now coming to the treatment. Acute hepatitis E in immunocompetent persons usually only requires symptomatic treatment, as almost all of them are able to clear the virus spontaneously. The acute illness may result in anorexia, nausea, and vomiting, predisposing patients to dehydration. These symptoms tend to be worse in the afternoon or evening. Patients should attempt to ingest significant calories in the morning. As they improve, frequent small meals may be better tolerated. Hospitalization should be considered for patients with dehydration. Ribavirin an antiviral drug is reserved for people who worsen.

You can continue taking Dexxoo (Dexlansoprazole). Stop Ipride (Itopride Hcl) if it causes loose stools. Eat light food and drink plenty of fluids. Take tablet Paracetamol 500 for fever. Consult a doctor immediately if you think your condition is worsening.

|