Q. What are the possibilities of transmitting HSV-2 from an infected woman to a man?

Dr. Saurabh Pandey
This is a premium question & answer published on May 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2020

What are the possibilities of transmitting HSV2 from an infected woman to a man and how to prevent it if they intend to enter into a relationship. Thanks

Dr. Saurabh Pandey

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Hello , Welcome to Icliniq.

I understand your concern about the HSV .. before I begin to preventive measures let me tell you it how it can spreads.. It is spread through oral, vaginal, or anal sex. It may be spread even if you do not see blisters. It can also be spread to other areas of your body, including your eyes, lips, mouth, by touching open blisters.

Unprotected sex increases your risk for genital herpes. Now as you are well aware about its spreads now you just have to take precautions accordingly. Follow the following advice-

1. Always use condom
  2. Try not to touch affected area
  3. Tell your partner about genital herpes. Do not have sex until he or she knows that you have genital herpes.

Fortunately It can be treated effectively with proper medication.. let me know in the follow up if you need it. I hope this will help you. Regards! Do give your valuable feedback.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Please suggest treatment for genital herpes.

Query: Hi doctor, I have recently contracted genital herpes. I am having an outbreak, which scared me. I have blisters (vesicles) on the penis. I had a blood test done last week and this confirmed it. Please help me.  Read Full »

What are the preventive measures in case of slippage or breakage of condoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old heterosexual male. I am HIV negative with no known STD. I always have safe sex. I always have very safe sex with girls who are not sex workers. But may have casual sex with others. Generally, I would imagine that they too would be practicing safe sex with their regul...  Read Full »

Are my flu-like symptoms due to HIV infection?

Query: Hello doctor, About 4 weeks ago, I got oral sex from a partner whose HIV status is unknown to me. I did only that with her. I always thought that it represented no risk of contamination to HIV. Now the thing is that about 1 week after that intercourse, I did a general blood test and found out that ...  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now