Q. What causes the blood pressure and triglyceride levels to stay elevated even after taking medications?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abdelrahman Abouibrahim

I had a myocardial infarction at the age of 40. Stents were placed at the age of 60. Now, I am 72 years old. I am using the medicines tablets Metoprolol Succinate 50, Losartan 50, and Ecosprin 150. My blood pressure and other parameters would be within normal limits. However, in the last four to five months, my blood pressure has been between 150/90 mmHg to 160/95 mm Hg, and my triglycerides were 178 mg/dL.

Kindly advise the line of action.

#

I understand your concern.

You have uncontrolled hypertension, which could cause heart attacks and other complications like stroke. Also, the triglycerides are high, which can increase the risk of cardiovascular complications. The target blood pressure level is 140/90 mmHg, and triglycerides must be below 150 mg/dL. Do you have any chest pain on exertion?

I suggest the below treatment plan:

• Upgrade tablet Losartan dose to 100 mg.
  • Take tablet Rosuvastatin 10 mg once daily.

Consult a specialist doctor, talk to him or her and start the medicines with their consent.

I also suggest you get ECG (electrocardiogram) and echocardiogram done. Please share the reports for review.

Do follow up in case of any doubts.

|