Q. Can high blood pressure be the reason for the bloody mucus from my throat?

Dr. Mohammed Parvez
Published on Oct 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 10, 2019

I had mucus from the throat, and it had minor blood in it. I went to the ER, and the blood pressure was 190/110. The doctors told the bleeding had to do with the blood pressure as the bleeding stopped as soon as blood pressure reducing pills were given orally. I had blood tests done today, and everything came out normal. Can high blood pressure be the reason for this bloody mucus from the throat? I am feeling very anxious about this. PTT tests were done, and they were normal as well. ECG and echo were done, and both were normal. I have attached the images of the reports.

Dr. Mohammed Parvez

#

I have gone through all your reports you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and they are normal.

• I am glad that despite very high blood pressure you have ended up having only minor bleeding, which I believe, was a warning sign.
  • I would recommend you to please get an ECG (electrocardiography) done as well as a complete eye examination by an ophthalmologist to look for any early signs of hypertensive retinopathy.
  • Now coming to treatment, the main line of treatment is having a healthy lifestyle, having very low salt in the diet, preferably a DASH diet. Also, continue to take the medicine for hypertension as prescribed.
  • Finally, please do not get anxious about the condition as it will not be good for your blood pressure. Therefore, please take things easy and relax. Continue to follow up with your doctor to monitor the blood pressure.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you very much for the prompt and an accurate response. I shall be looking into making some significant lifestyle changes. Can you please let me know if blood can come from the mucus in the throat in case of high blood pressure? I have searched a lot about this on the internet, but could not confirm it. I am worried if the blood from the throat is something else.

Dr. Mohammed Parvez

#

• High blood pressure can lead to bleeding from anywhere in the body. The blood you noticed in the mucus may have come from the throat or from the lung. At this time, I would not go in deep to know from where the blood has come, but be more focused on maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
  • Kindly stop tobacco and alcohol, if you are consuming it, which is a general advice to all patients with hypertension.
  • Lastly, make sure you do not have any acidity or sleep apnea issues. Please ask your doctor to get you evaluated for these two conditions.

Related Video

I had high blood pressure and low heart rate. Is my ECG showing infarction?

Query: Hi doctor,I had high blood pressure, low heart rate. Is my ECG showing infarction? I have no chest pain. At the time of ECG, my blood pressure was 168/100 and heart beat 46.  Read Full »

I have high blood pressure and feel chest pain. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I feel pain on the left side of my chest. I have no sugar but high blood pressure. My age is 50 years. I am 67 inches in height and my weight is 78 kg.  Read Full »

How to get rid of acidity caused due to taking spicy food?

Query: Hello doctor, I eat out a lot and take junk food very frequently. I am suffering from acidity now. If I take spicy food, I feel uneasiness in my stomach. I am a 25 year old male. Please help.  Read Full »