Q. My iron level is high with no other symptoms. Is it because of my iron supplements?

Dr. Abdul Aziz Khan

I am 44-years-old female. I am a vegetarian. My current medications are fish oil, multivitamin, vitamin C supplements, and a high dose of vitamin B for my neuropathy. I drink beer or wine two servings three times a week. I have an increased iron value with no other symptoms. I consulted a doctor, and she suggested doing a complete blood investigation to rule out the cause. She advised me to stop the supplements containing iron and repeat the blood test after a month. I stopped multivitamin and vitamin C supplements one month before the blood test. In my recent blood investigation, my iron value is 187 mcg/dL, TIBC is 246 mcg/dL, ferritin is 70 ng/mL, and hemoglobin is normal.

Are these numbers cause for concern?

Kindly help.

#

I agree with your doctor that iron supplementation may cause high serum iron since you have normal ferritin and hemoglobin. So, I suggest stopping iron and repeat CBC (complete blood count), iron, and ferritin after three months. And kindly upload your reports for review.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

These values are obtained after discontinuation of iron supplements for five weeks.

1) I take a high amount of vitamin B, especially vitamin B12. Is there a correlation of this to iron values? Should I reduce intake of vitamin B if so?

2) How long after stopping supplements does it take for the body to get rid of excess iron?

Thanks.

#

Iron absorption from our intestine depends upon body iron stores. If we have enough iron stores, less iron will be absorbed and, if fewer iron stores, more iron will be absorbed. Vitamin B12 does not have a significant effect on iron absorption.

I feel two to three months should be enough after stopping oral iron to repeat the test for iron stores.

|