Q. Can I get an HIV infection ten years after having unprotected sex?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am not gay. But, 15 years ago, I had sex with a man. I am not sure if his penis entered my anus or not. I did it again with a man, a year later. And, ten years ago, I had sex with a male for the last time. I have not been involved in any such activities after that. I have got tested for HIV, ELISA, and CMIA several times last year and it all came back negative. Those were done in my teenage. I have turned over a new leaf and realized my mistakes. So my question is, can I get HIV in the future due to this? Is it likely that I am suffering from an STD and am unaware of it? I am unmarried. But, when I do get married and have sex with my wife, will there be a problem later?

#

I understand your concern.

• You cannot get an HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) now because you have been tested negative already. In most of the cases, the tests come positive within 12 weeks of exposure. So if your results were negative after 12 weeks of sexual activities, then there will be no need for further testing.
  • I do not think you have any STD (sexually transmitted diseases) or HIV. If you had any STD, then you would have developed the symptoms by now. You are symptom-free and no need to worry.
  • There is no risk to your future wife because you do not have an STD.

You will not get HIV due to past activities. So remain relaxed, you are totally safe and will remain safe. Thanks.

For more information consult a sexologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

|