Q. HIV test is negative at 12 weeks. Should I repeat the test at six months?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
Published on Apr 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had unprotected sex with a sex worker and after exactly 12 weeks of exposure, I did an HIV 1 and 2 antibodies and HIV 1 and 2 P24 combo test. It came negative. But, some guidelines advise repeating the test after six months. Should I consider my test conclusive or test again after six months of exposure? Please solve my problem. I am very anxious.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Preventive Medicine Venereology
#

HIV antibodies are formed two to six weeks post exposure. Three months is the latest time given. If the antibodies tests are negative after three months of exposure, then it is conclusive that you are free from HIV, provided there is no further risky exposure.

You need not worry about the six months references. You can allay fears of HIV.

For more information consult a community medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/community-medicine-physician

What about the P24 combo test? Its index value is 0.1 after 12 weeks of exposure.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

#

Do not worry about the index value. The negative result is important.

P24 with antibodies tests (combo or Duo) test is also very significant one month after exposure. It is conclusive three months after exposure.

My last question. So, my HIV 1 and 2 antibodies screening test was negative and HIV P24 combo test is also negative after 12 weeks. And I have uploaded the reports. You said that three months report is conclusive, but my report is exactly after 85 days of exposure. So, can I completely forget about HIV? Because after the exposure I suffered from jaundice and some itching. Now my jaundice is alright.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

If the results are negative after three months, it is conclusive. 85 days is 12 weeks. In my opinion, it is 'negative' for HIV.

If you still have fears, then go for HIV antibodies tests after 90 days.

Jaundice does not alter the test results.

I do not have any fear now. I believe in your opinion. So, I am not going for another test. Your opinion is that negative result at 85 days is conclusive. So, I believe in your opinion. Thank you again.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

The CSW had some white patches near her vagina. Should I get tested for HIV?

Query: Hello doctor,I had sex with a prostitute and not sure if she has HIV or not. However, I have used a condom as a protection. Now, do I need to do an HIV test to check?  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern. Protected sex is safe and there is no risk of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus). Regards. For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist  Read Full

Is immuno-concentration HIV test conclusive after 15 months of sexual exposure?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old boy. I had a partner for past 2 to 3 years. We performed sex 6 to 7 times. Last was before 14 months and then had a break-up. Now I see that she is HIV positive. Now I fear about HIV because there is high risk and I want to marry another girl. My symptoms are a sore...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Do not worry, I will solve your doubt. After around one year almost any test can rule out HIV conclusively. So rapid test is reliable and no need for further testing. But still, you have investigated with chemilumiscence test that gives re...  Read Full

I am under PEP. How often should I get tested for HIV if the results come negative?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I am on PEP that has to be taken for 28 days. I got my first dose around 40 hours of being contracted to HIV. PEP is not 100 % secure. My question is if I am lucky and the result shows HIV negative after the therapy, how often do I need to get antibody tested if luck s...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The answers to your queries are: For PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) efficacy, adherence to the medications prescribed for PEP is the most important thing. PEP is really efficacious, To the best of my clinical practice, I have not seen any case of a patient who has comp...  Read Full

Ask a Community Medicine Physician Now