Q. HIV test is negative at 12 weeks. Should I repeat the test at six months?

Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti.

Do you have a question on Hiv Risk Factors or Hiv Testing? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I had unprotected sex with a sex worker and after exactly 12 weeks of exposure, I did an HIV 1 and 2 antibodies and HIV 1 and 2 P24 combo test. It came negative. But, some guidelines advise repeating the test after six months. Should I consider my test conclusive or test again after six months of exposure? Please solve my problem. I am very anxious.