Q. Are Elisa, RNA PCR and Tri-Dot sufficient to rule out HIV?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
Published on May 21, 2019

I had unprotected sex with a girl, but a sperm has not come because I was inactive as I have drunk. This happened last month. After 23 days, I had RNA PCR, and ELISA both came negative. Then after 7th week, I had antigen, antibody test, which came back negative. In the 10th week, I went for Elisa test 0.4, and it was non-reactive. After completion of the 11th week, I went for Tri-Dot and that also came negative. Should I wait for one week, or is it sufficient for me? Please help me to come out of this situation.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

Guidelines says that you should repeat the test after 12 weeks of exposure, but because you have undergone test many times, you are almost sure that you do not have HIV. But it is better to repeat once after 12 weeks. You need not be anxious as most likely it turns to be negative as there is no hint of any symptoms and on previous test results.

| 

But I got allergy on my both outer thighs. Regarding it consulted HIV specialist and he told not to worry as this is not associated with HIV.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

#

Allergy can occur because of many reasons, and your doctor has given you the right explanation. You are just a little more worried. Just relax and everything will be alright.

| 

How is the CMIA combo test done for HIV testing?

Query: Hello doctor, I shall be thankful to you if you please answer few of my queries. How CMIA combo for HIV testing is done? How much it is reliable at 175 and 180 post incidence. INDEX was .14 and .08, respectively. What are the chances of error in the result? (Done at two different labs). Even after ...  Read Full »

I am under PEP. How often should I get tested for HIV if the results come negative?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I am on PEP that has to be taken for 28 days. I got my first dose around 40 hours of being contracted to HIV. PEP is not 100 % secure. My question is if I am lucky and the result shows HIV negative after the therapy, how often do I need to get antibody tested if luck s...  Read Full »

Can I take Tenofovir or Entecavir for my hepatitis B?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with hepatitis B about a year and a half ago. Can I take Tenofovir or Entecavir for it? Are there any antiviral prescriptions for me? The associated symptoms are extreme fatigue and dizziness.  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now