Q. What does HIV test reactive and antibodies negative mean?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan
Published on Mar 29, 2019

If you have an HIV test done and it is reactive but the antibodies test is negative, what does this mean?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

#

It might be due to the HIV test detecting the HIV antigen (p24), and the antibody test might still be in the window period (meaning, the antibodies against HIV have not been formed in the body yet). In any infection, the infection produces its antigen, and later when antigens are processed by our immune system, the body produces antibodies against the infection.

Do fever, sore throat and headache after sex indicate HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I had sex with my office colleague 15 days back and he looks healthy and happy, but within two weeks of that incident, I got cold, fever 99.8 Farenhite, sore throat, toothache, and severe cough like never before. I am very scared. I got my period four days after sex. I am worried abou...  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the condom was intact, then there is nothing to worry. Nevertheless, you can go for HIV testing at four weeks.  Read Full

What would happen if sweat or water dropped into the blood used for HIV testing?

Query: Hi doctor, I took OraQuick Advance Rapid HIV 1/2 antibody test today at a nearby clinic after waiting the window period for exposure of more than 90 days. I was told that the result was negative. My concern may be very paranoid and unnecessary; however, I am more curious than anything. I wanted to ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sushma Shah
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are not paranoid, but genius. Yes, anything in the blood may change the results, and that is why we advise sterile things. But, test results if positive never shows negative. HIV virus persists till it is in any wet medium. If blood dried, then no HIV virus persist....  Read Full

Are the tests which I have undergone sufficient to conclude my HIV status?

Query: Hi doctor, I had protected sex with a CSW before 5 months. I do not know the condom status either broken or ruptured one. I was drunk that day but I did not even ejaculate. Since I had a doubt, I took a test on 4th week, HIV 1 and 2 antibody rapid tests from laboratory which was non-reactive. On 6th...  Read Full >>

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. You have gone for antibody testing for HIV 1 and 2 many times and it has come negative. When two tests for antibody detection based on different principles are negative, it means individual is not having HIV infection. You have also...  Read Full