HomeAnswersHIV/AIDS specialisthivWhat are the odds of having HIV after using a sex worker?

Can I get HIV after a herpes virus infection if I had sex with a commercial sex worker?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Davie Wong

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At March 10, 2023
Reviewed AtDecember 12, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I had protected sex with a massage parlor woman but had a herpes outbreak above my penis; it was pretty high. I am worried about HIV (Human immunodeficiency Virus). Kindly help.

Answered by Dr. Davie Wong


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I can understand your concern.

The chance of contracting HIV in this situation is highly variable, depending on many factors. Having genital herpes at the time of sexual intercourse does increase the risk. Other factors include proper or improper use of a condom, whether or not the condom broke, the type of intercourse (oral, vaginal, or anal), the partner's HIV status, and whether or not she is taking antiviral medication. The best way to find out is to get an HIV antibody test. With the fourth-generation HIV serology, HIV can be detected as early as 18 days from exposure. By the way, did you have any flu-like illness following this sexual event?

Patient's Query

Thank you for your reply, doctor.

No, I did not have the flu; it has been three weeks without any symptoms. The blisters were about five or six inches above my penis, and I had the condom on. I am worried when she pulled out or was on top of that; some fluid got into my herpes. Kindly help.

Answered by Dr. Davie Wong


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Your concern is very valid, given the circumstance. If the exposure was three weeks ago, you should get an HIV test now. If that test is negative, and you are still worried, then you can repeat it at six weeks and 12 weeks from exposure to ensure you did not get infected. In addition, you should get tested for other sexually transmitted infections. I would suggets getting tested for hepatitis B, hepatitis C, syphilis, gonorrhea, and chlamydia.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Davie Wong
Dr. Davie Wong

HIV/AIDS specialist

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Read answers about:

protected sexherpeshiv

Ask your health query to a doctor online

HIV/AIDS specialist

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy