HomeAnswersSexologyhivShould I get tested for HIV if I have symptoms like diarrhea, appetite loss, and dry throat after having protected sex?

Do symptoms like diarrhea, appetite loss, and dry throat after having protected sex suggest HIV infection?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At September 18, 2022
Reviewed AtDecember 1, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I have a query on HIV disease. Three months ago, I had sex with a girl; it was my first exposure. I had protected sex using two condoms for dual protection. The sex was incomplete as I did not release any semen. But, there was some precum which was also less. After the sex, I was about to remove the condom and touched it accidentally. However, she stopped me and started removing the condom. After removing it, I pulled the upper skin of my penis with the same hand to cover it. I am worried about the precum on my penis. However, my penis has no cuts, sores, or infections. After this, she cleaned it with a cloth. The next day, my sex went well.

On the same day, I started getting digestive symptoms like diarrhea. I was unable to eat anything, and I did not feel hungry. Also, I could not sleep properly and had a dry throat for three days. These symptoms continued for a week after sex. Am I infected with HIV? What are my chances of getting positive if I get tested? I am really scared about my first exposure. Should I get tested?

Kindly help.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern.

If you had sex using a condom, your chances of getting infected with HIV are very less. It is an effective method to prevent the spread of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) and other STIs (sexually transmitted infections). First, you have to overcome the anxiety. However, you can go for HIV testing for reconfirming. Your symptoms can be due to your fear of getting infected with HIV. The test results will be accurate and conclusive because it is already three months.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

Thank you for the response.

Which type of test should I go for?


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I suggest you get HIV antibodies and HIV antigen test done. HIV NAT (nucleic acid test) can detect the virus after 10 to 30 days, and an antibody test can detect it after a month. Therefore, it is better to go for NAT.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
Dr. Ramchandra Lamba


Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Read answers about:

hivhiv testing

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy