Q. Had test on day 12 of possible exposure. Is that reliable?

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 12, 2021

Initially, I noticed four red rashes on my chest and neck. On the next day, I got another four rashes on my face and after two days, I got rashes on my hand and fingers. I also have mild fever and joint pain. All the symptoms have started after my treatment for herpes from a hospital. Do all my symptoms say something about HIV? Previously, I was tested negative for HIV on the 27th day of exposure.

#

Please send a few good quality photographs taken in a natural light to help you better.

Revert back with the photos to a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

The rashes are very light in color and are not clear in the image. They are light red in color.

#

• It might be a case of adverse drug reaction (maculopapular rash) or Pityriasis rosea. If the rash is increasing, then stop the drug immediately.
  • What is the complaint in the rash? Do you feel any pain or burning or itching sensation?

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

There is no itch or pain. I just have some little red dots.

#

• Yes, it is a case of drug reaction. Please stop the drug immediately and take the following medications. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Tablet Teczine M (combination of Montelukast and Levocetirizine) twice daily for seven days.
  • Tablet Augmentin 625 mg (Combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) thrice daily for seven days.

Revert back after seven days to a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

I am taking the medicine suggested by you. I had also taken a HIV test after 12 days of possible exposure. The test copy was attached. I want to know whether my test is reliable. Or do I require further testing? At present, I am feeling swelling below my ear, possibly be a lymph node. It is rubbery and movable. Is it possible that I am having HIV?

#

• How is your rash?
  • No test is reliable at day 12. You need to go for repeat testing at week 4.

For further information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Rashes are still present, but the color has become very light. Does lymph node enlargement on back of ear indicate any infection?

#

Please give me a few more details to help you better.

• When did you notice the lymph node? Do you have any pain in that?
  • What is the size? Do you have any inguinal or axillary lymphadenopathy?

|