Q. What are the ways to reduce weight in a thyroid patient?

Dr. C Elanchezhian
Published on Sep 05, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 09, 2019

I am 68 years old, 1.87 m tall and 140 kg weight. I need to lose weight but it is very very difficult. My thyroid analysis is attached. Is this the reason? What should I do to lose weight at my age? Do I need Thyroxin? TSH 4.88 μIU/ml, free T4- Gen .3 0.96ng/dl.

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

Yes, you are overweight. Your BMI is nearly 40. Blood sugar high/HbA1C 7.9 increased, ask your diabetologist to adjust the dose (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Control BP.

But from your laboratory reports- T4 0.96 is low/TSH is 4.88 just increased. Hypothyroid state, plus overweight obese. So, if you add a tablet for thyroid, it will help to correct TSH and T4 level as well as lower your weight. You can add tablet Thyroxin 50 mg OD for three months.

Diet- Avoid spicy fatty food, take lots of green vegetables. Daily 45 minutes walking. Review with TFT results after three months with your body weight.

My thyroid medicine makes me sick. Should it be changed?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been diagnosed hypothyroid. I am currently taking WP Thyroid. I have taken Armour and Nature-thyroid. They all make me sick to my stomach. I tried adding generic T3 and it made my symptoms worse, that is, hair loss, cold hands and feet, weight gain, fatigue, GERD, and constipatio...  Read Full »

I am unable to lose weight although I eat less and be active. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 41 year old female. I am having pretty bad acne, slight periods (almost like spotting), unable to lose weight. I gained 10 lbs extra in the past year. Although I am eating 1000 to 1200 calories a day and I am active, I am not losing. I did some blood and saliva tests and here a...  Read Full »

Can thyroid problem be the reason for stress and anxiety?

Query: Hi doctor, I have TSH 6.01. My T3 and T4 are normal. I feel stressed with anxiety. I cannot sleep at night. Please help me.  Read Full »