Q. Does HSV positivity indicate risk of HIV?

Answered by Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Hsv or Hiv? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 28 year old male. I had an exposure with a CSW and precaution broke during the act. I do not know the HIV status of the girl. Four weeks later, I got a light fever which subsided in a week. I got a blood test that showed 11500 WBC with a bacterial infection. But, I have leg pain and stuffy nose from the last 30 days. I went with the following test.

• 28 days after exposure: HIV antibody 1 and 2 and p24 antigen test nonreactive.
  • 37 days after exposure: HIV antibody 1 and 2 and p24 antigen test nonreactive. HIV RNA PCR (quantitative test) undetectable.
  • 42 days after exposure: HIV antibody 1 and 2 and p24 antigen test nonreactive.
  • 49 days after exposure: HIV antibody 1 and 2 and p24 antigen test nonreactive. Serological test for syphilis nonreactive. Herpes simplex 1 and 2 IgM reactive. Herpes simplex 1 and 2 IgG reactive.

What are my chances of being infected with HIV? Since herpes simplex is reactive, does it mean that I am infected with HIV?