HomeAnswersInternal MedicinehypertensionWhat is the role of aldosterone in controlling BP?

What is the role of aldosterone in controlling BP?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At September 27, 2016
Reviewed AtJuly 31, 2023

Patient's Query

I have got high blood pressure, low potassium and vitamin D levels. Also, my aldosterone level is very low that is almost non-existent. I think low aldosterone is supposed to cause low blood pressure. I am wondering once I start the low aldosterone treatment will my blood pressure, potassium and vitamin D level go back to normal? Please reply.

Welcome back to icliniq.com. You are correct. While Hyperaldosteronism typically leads to hypertension with low potassium levels, your situation appears to be the opposite. This suggests that high blood pressure might be due to essential hypertension rather than aldosterone-related issues. As for low vitamin D levels, it is quite common, affecting around 60% of the population, and may not be directly linked to your blood pressure. To address this, consider getting regular sun exposure for at least twice a week and take vitamin D3 supplements orally, 60000 IU once a week. To manage hypertension, I recommend ACE inhibitor therapy such as Telmisartan or Olmesartan. These medications can help normalize your blood pressure and potassium levels. It is crucial to consult your doctor, have a discussion about your condition, and obtain their consent before starting any medication.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava
Dr. Anshuman Srivastava

Internal Medicine

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Internal Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy