Q. What could be the potential risk of not taking medicine for hypothyroidism?

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2020

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and growth hormone deficiency as a child, but stopped taking the medication at 18. I am now 23 and have noticed a few symptoms. Extreme fatigue, depression, anxiety, weight gain and headaches. I feel that the symptoms have worsened. What could be the potential result of not taking the medication?

#

I have a few follow up questions. Please answer them.

• What was the reason for the hypothyroidism and growth hormone deficiency?
  • Were there any other hormone deficiencies as well? What other medical problems do you have?
  • When did you last have your thyroid blood work done? Can you send the results of the laboratory?
  • Treatment for hypothyroidism is extremely important as it is a metabolic hormone and your body and all organs need it for functioning well.
  • Without this everything in the body can get sluggish such as weight gain, depression, tiredness and cold intolerance and in extreme cases it will lead to hospitalization, complications like hypothermia (decreased body temperature), slow heart rate and coma.
  • Growth hormone deficiency treatment is required for growth of bones and muscles in childhood, but in adulthood the treatment recommendation will depend on the cause of the deficiency.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|