Q. Can I take I-pill five times in a month?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Can I take I-pill for five times in a month? I hope there will not be any major side effects because I am not taking any other contraceptive pills. Also, I do not want to use a condom. I read that the contraceptive pill should be started on the first day of the periods and taken one pill daily for 21days. But, my periods got over before 15 days. Can I start the contraceptive pill for 21 days from today?

#

You are already in your fertile period as on date and likely to have ovulated already.

If you have been involved with unprotected sex, then you should take an I-pill within 72 hours of the intercourse and need not repeat the I-pill every time you have sex in this cycle.

One I-pill shall be enough because in the next five to seven days post I-pill intake you should receive your withdrawal bleed and that would indirectly ensure that you are safe from getting pregnant.

It would mark the start of fresh cycle and then you can be started on low dose oral contraceptive pills from day 2 of your fresh cycle, which would be the day 2 of the withdrawal bleed following I-pill.

I-pill does have side effects and it can cause irregularity of your next two to three cycles making the cycles scanty or heavier.

More than one I-pill in a month should be avoided and it should only be used for emergency contraception purpose and not otherwise.

You may also consider female diaphragms or cervical caps if you do not prefer male condoms for protection. These are female condoms, which are safe as well and act as a barrier contraceptive.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|