Q. Can face cream causes a sudden appearance of swelling under the left eye?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

I am a 27-year-old female. Today morning when I got up, under the left eye, there was swelling. I have experienced this before, but that was because of a face cream I used. Now I have been using a different one for the past two years. I had been prescribed Elidel cream before. What can be the reason for this swelling? Kindly help.

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern.

I have seen the photograph attached (photograph removed to protect the patient's identity).

There is localized facial erythema with swelling of the left cheek. For a better assessment, kindly provide the following information;

a) Do you have any burning or itching sensation over the lesion? If you had it earlier, kindly mention that too.

b) Is the lesion same or similar to the previous one?

c) Do you have an allergic reaction elsewhere in the body?

Kindly reply.

Thanks for the reply.

There is no burning or itching sensation. The swelling is at the same place as before, but it was because of a face cream that I used. I changed that face cream a year ago. I took curd, which expired a day or two ago, and ordered food online two days ago. I do not have any allergies elsewhere in the body.

#

It is not because of the face cream, as you have started using it a year ago. It is applied over the other parts of the face as well, but the lesion has occurred in one location only. If the cream was the culprit, it would have caused lesions everywhere in the face. If it is due to expired curd which you ate, then the allergic rashes would appear in other parts of the body too.

Have you ever noticed any flare-ups of the lesion in the following triggering factors like sun exposure, emotional stress, hot or cold weather, wind, spicy foods, heavy exercise, hot baths, heated beverages, etc.? Do you suspect any insect bite? Did your doctor mention the diagnosis of rosacea when you had a similar lesion last time? Kindly reply.

I have not gone out of the house for two to three days, and when I am outside am always wear a mask. So the chances of insect bite are nil. My doctor did not mention any condition that you asked for. The last time I consulted my doctor on a video call, he prescribed an ointment Elidel; after using that, the swelling reduced completely. No tests were taken.

#

I tried to ask for relevant medical history to find the cause of it. But the reason is still clueless. It is not rosacea or insect bite or allergy due to cream or food. I suggest you apply the same cream prescribed by your doctor before. Either you use the same cream or visit a local dermatologist this time to know whether the etiology has relapsed again.

Thank you for the reply.

I do not have health insurance, so it is difficult to find a doctor. If using the same ointment is ok, then I will go ahead with it.

#

Since the ointment worked last time, it should work this time too. I suggest, use it in the same way as you applied it earlier. Avoid prolonged application of the cream and do not use it once the swelling subsides. If you have any side effects, kindly report.

Thank you for guiding me. I will use it.

#

You are welcome.

|