iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersInfertilityin vitro fertilizationKaryotype of the abortus shows triplody. Will it affect baby's physical and mental health?

Will IVF help in avoiding chromosomal abnormality in future pregnancy?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Sameer Kumar

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Vinodhini J.

Published At January 3, 2020
Reviewed AtDecember 13, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am 38 years old and my wife is 36 years old. We are married for the last two years and trying for a baby for the last one year almost.

By our gynecologist advise we underwent an IUI cycle which resulted in missed abortion at seven weeks due to no growth of fetus after five weeks.

D & C done and karyotype of abortion showed a chromosomal abnormality. Remarks as below:

Aborted fetus karyotype, 69, XXX G-banded metaphase shows triploidy.

Wife's condition:

a) Age: 36 years no issue yet.

b) Has a subserous uterus fibroid of size 68 x 62 mm and bulky uterus.

c) Had thyroid and she takes Thyroxin 50 mg every day. Last TSH is 1.48.

d) Sugar is under control and TBC is normal.

e) In childhood she had one occurrence of epilepsy.

Husband's condition:

a) Age: 38 years.

b) Nonsmoker and non-drinker.

c) semen analysis result is normal (normal fertile specimen).

d) Shaving a bit high uric acid in the last one year (under medicine).

Karyotyping results of partners:

Husband: 46, XY G banded metaphase shows normal karyotype.

Wife: 46, XX high frequency of G-banded metaphase shows telomeric association of chromosomes 1, 3, 16 & X.

My questions are is it possible that after fibroid removal she can conceive a baby in a normal way? Can there be any bad effect on baby's health (physical and mental) due to the DNA abnormality found in her report?

Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar


Welcome to icliniq.com.

1. As far as the subserous nature of the fibroid is concerned which is around 7cm x 6 cm, it per se is not going to have an effect or cause hindrance in conception but it is likely that it can cause problems during the pregnancy and in the late third trimester due to abdominal pain. So, it is advisable that it should be removed anyways as the size is a concern here and can cause incoordinate uterine contractions during labor later and also chances are that it would further grow under estrogen effect. Hence better get it removed.

2. As the fetus showed triploidy XXX G banded metaphase, which as per the mother's report, she has high chances of replication of similar results in future pregnancies as well which may not be compatible with life and likely missed abortions may occur in future. Hence, it is suggested that both of you should try for an IVF (in vitro fertilization) with ovum and sperm harvesting and in vitro fertilization of the egg by your sperm and subjecting the embryos to preimplantation genetic screening with FISH (fluorescence in situ hybridization) technique or PCR (polymerase chain reaction) or comparative genomic hybridization (CGH), before selecting the embryo for transplanting into the uterus.

Though the frequency of G banded metaphase telomeric association is high for 1, 3, 16 and X chromosome, the chances of the fetus getting triploidy are very high. Another best option for you as a couple would be to opt for a donor egg from another woman which can be fertilized in vitro by your sperm and then the embryo after pre implantation genetic screening can be implanted in your wife's womb to improve the chances of having a healthy conception.

I hope this helps.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sameer Kumar
Dr. Sameer Kumar

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy