Q. Is it normal for a 2. 5 year old toddler to sleep too much?

Dr. Deepak Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2021

I am a little concerned that my 2.5 year old toddler has been sleeping too much lately. He woke up at 4 AM the day before yesterday, but he was fine yesterday. We went to the regional center yesterday, where he played and we reached home by 2 PM. He went to sleep at 2.30 PM and has been sleeping since. He wakes up for a while and goes back to sleep. Is this normal? He has not eaten anything since 2 PM yesterday. We gave him water, as it is a hot day. He was prescribed Cefalexin, but he started having diarrhea, so the doctor told me to stop it. He had a cough and runny nose, for which the doctor gave him an injection three days back.

#

I can understand your concern.

• It is not healthy for a child at this age to sleep so much, it can happen if the child has developed a viral infection, or it can be the effect of some drugs. You should ask your child if he has taken anything without informing you.
  • It is necessary to get the child examined by a doctor so that we do not miss any significant finding.
  • Give more fluids to the child. It would be better if you give glucose water as he has not eaten anything in a long time.

I hope this will help you.

For further queries consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|