Q. My leg is sore and swollen with minor wounds from an insect bite. Please suggest medications.

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

I have a sore leg, which I believed to be caused by insect bites. It started about three days ago and not that painful. I have no fever nor anything with normal BP. I currently have four minor wounds with a swollen leg. Kindly suggest medications or antibiotics for the same. I have attached a similar picture of my wound.

#

I have gone through the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I understand that this happened three days ago. One picture looks like an insect bite with blister formation, the other one may not (not sure though). Are you sure this is because of insect bite? Other than mild pain and swelling around the wound, do you experience any itching or rashes? Does the swelling is limited to in and around the bite site or extending beyond? Please answer my queries.

In the meantime, follow the below instructions.

1. Do not rupture the blister as it may lead to infection. It will burst open by itself in a day or two.

2. Try to keep the wound area clean by washing with clean water and soap.

3. Take tablet Ibuprofen plus Paracetamol combination, twice daily for three days, and tablet Fexofenadine (popularly known as Allegra) twice daily for three days. It should settle down with this. I am not prescribing antibiotics as of now.

4. Consult your doctor immediately if you experience continued swelling despite treatment, breathlessness, racing of your heart, dizziness, etc.

Follow up after three days to see the progress and treat accordingly.

|