Q. The site of the bug bite has become red, swollen, and has some discharge. Kindly help.

Dr. Zubayeralam

A bug had bitten me on my right leg three days ago. The site of the bite has become red, swollen, and I could notice some discharge. It is not getting better.

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern.

According to the picture provided here (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity), the affected area has become inflamed and swollen, and the color of the affected area has changed to red. I suggest you wash the affected area with soap and water regularly and apply an ice pack on that affected area to reduce swelling and itching.

The swelling may persist for seven days. Kindly keep the affected leg elevated to reduce the swelling. For itching, you can take antihistamines orally and apply Hydrocortisone topical cream on the affected area. And take tablet Flucloxacillin to prevent the infection.

Take care.

Thanks for the reply.

Is Flucloxacillin a prescription medicine? Is it too early to start antibiotics?

Thanks.

#

According to the picture provided here and according to your statement, your affected area has become infected. For an infected bug bite, Flucloxacillin is recommended.

Flucloxacillin is a prescription medication. So, you can collect topical antibiotic cream and apply it to your affected area instead of Flucloxacillin.

If the infection does not get better in the next two to three days after using topical antibiotic cream or ointment, you should start oral antibiotics like Flucloxacillin.

Take care.

|