Q. How is the best Insulin treatment selected for a diabetes patient?

Answered by Dr. Divakara P and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan

Do you have a question on Insulin or Insulin Timing? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: How is the best Insulin treatment selected for a diabetes patient?

I have few questions which I would like to ask a professional. As I am not able to find the answers by myself, I would love to hear from a practicing professional.

How is the best Insulin treatment (syringe, pen, pump and pod) selected for a type 1 diabetes patient? Generally, how long the patients need to learn the injecting technique? Why does injecting Insulin into the same location cause a hard bump in that area? Is this reaction the reason ports are not used to deliver Insulin? How common is the use of the new inhaled Insulin? Does it have to be supplemented by another method of injection? When would an islet cell transplant be recommended? When would a patient be given an entire pancreas transplant operation rather than an islet cell transplant? In both situations, what keeps the beta cells from being tagged by autoantibodies and destroyed again?