Q. What would be the reason for my irregular periods?

Answered by
Dr. Sonal Prasad
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 15, 2016

Hello doctor,

I have been having issues of on and off periods for nearly four years now. When I started my periods, they were completely normal, neither heavy nor light and nothing unusual. But, I started missing my cycle for about six months and then I would come back completely normal. My last episode of missing my periods had lasted for nearly 10 months and I have had no unusual symptoms, discharge or pain. I have been to my doctors twice and I have had an ultrasound, which came back completely normal, many blood tests and hormone tests, which also did not pick up anything unusual. I just want to get to the bottom of this problem. Is there anything else you think I could do? What do you reckon about this? I am not stressed, obese or underweight. I do not smoke or drink. I am a healthy 18 year old. Any of your advice would be very grateful. Thank you.


This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Sonal Prasad

Childbirth Educator Lactation Counselor Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

The menstrual pattern you quote sounds like PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). It is a hormonal imbalance characterized by menstrual abnormalities.

To diagnose and classify the type of PCOS, following hormonal tests should be done on day 2 of periods. The timing is very important.

  1. LH - luteinizing hormone.
  2. FSH - follicle stimulating hormone.
  3. E2 estradiol.
  4. FBS - fasting blood sugar.
  5. Fasting insulin.
  6. DHEAS - dehydroepiandrosterone.
  7. Free testosterone.
  8. Gynecologic ultrasound.

Once you had all these tests done on day 2 of periods, I request you to upload the reports as it is the ratio of hormonal levels rather than their absolute values that are deranged in PCOS.

Since you say certain hormonal tests were done and came out normal, I presume that your thyroid and prolactin levels were normal. Get them done too if the report is more than three months old.

Please do tell me if you have already missed a period by a month in this cycle, so that I can suggest medication to induce periods. Please give the exact date of periods in that case. If you have not missed your periods yet, then wait for your periods and get the test repeated on day 2.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

The Probable causes:


Investigations to be done:

Hormonal profile.

Differential diagnosis:

1. Hypothyroidism.
2. Hyperprolactinemia.

Treatment plan:

Progesterone withdrawal if required and combined oral contraceptive pills (COC) after reports.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back with the reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Was this answer helpful?



This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Can PCOS cause irregular periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old unmarried woman. Last month my period was irregular. I got my periods on the 30th of last month and it was already 20 days later from the actual due. Initially, I had spotting for five days, then I bled for seven days and again, had spotting for three days. Now, I am bl...  Read Full »

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full »

What is Persinal injection used for?

Query: Hi doctor, I have PCOS and planning for pregnancy. Last month I had HSG. My doctor told that my tubes are clear. My LMP was 25 days back. This month I had Persinal injection on my 3rd, 5th and 7th day. On 9th day my follicle was at the size of 19 mm. My doctor gave an injection called Lupride on my ...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.