Q. What do raised insulin and cholesterol levels indicate?

Dr. Divakara P
Published on Mar 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 25, 2019

I seem to have high cholesterol for the first time and high insulin levels. Please go through my reports and advise. Thank you.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I went through all your reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity). Only few abnormalities noted.

Raised insulin levels indicate that your body is becoming resistant to Insulin. It means that you are at risk of becoming diabetic in near future. The solution for raised insulin level is daily aerobic exercise like brisk walking, jogging, running, cycling or swimming for at least 30 minutes every day.

Elevated total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol are seen. Since the elevation is not much, also you are young (in report it was mentioned as 32 years) there is no need to start medication at present. Eat low calorie low cholesterol diet - avoid sweets, carbonated beverages, non-vegetarian food, junk food, cheese, butter and ghee. Eat more of fruits, vegetables and drink plenty of water. And do exercise as advised above.

Elevated platelet count with slight reduction in mean corpuscular hemoglobin (MCH) and mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration (MCHC) is probably due to iron deficiency. For this the solution is eat iron-rich foods like jaggery, green leafy vegetables, peanuts and dates.

Is cholesterol level of 299 too high?

Query: Hello doctor, Recently, I have checked my lipid profile and sugar. The results are total cholesterol 229, HDL 53, LDL 150, BP 130/90 mmHg and sugar 104. Are these results fine? Let me know whether I have any heart disease. For cholesterol I am taking Triglize. Kindly give few suggestions to lowe...  Read Full »

How can behavior with dogs be changed?

Query: Hi doctor, I have three kids and three dogs. Our dogs steal shoes from porch and wander outside fence. We all treat it as normal behavior and try to teach them peacefully. But they of course do not listen. And my husband hits them with shoes regularly trying to teach them not to steal shoes. It hap...  Read Full »

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Ask an Endocrinologist Now