Q. Why am I getting angry often?

Dr. Saraswat Kumarshri Shriniwas
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 08, 2020

I am a 25 year old female. I cannot control my emotions. In certain situations, I easily get angry and irritated. I also start blaming the other person for the mistake. I take everything negatively and also speak in a negative way. I do not have patience during that time. Please give me some advice.

#

• You are suffering from an intermittent explosive disorder which is an impulse control disorder.
  • In this, there is an explosive anger outburst during which your anger makes you do and utter things like blaming others, which you regret after the episode.
  • Most patients describe a sense of build up of tension before and after the episode. It is almost always followed by guilt.
  • The core elements of therapy for anger issues have three aspects. Identifying triggers, deep breathing techniques and expressing your  displeasure.
  • I advise you identify the triggers for anger and take preventive measures when you feel the tension have build up. Also, stepping away from people and counting numbers till your anger cools down is a simple tactic.
  • Follow deep breathing techniques to prevent anger build up like the 4-7-8 technique (relaxation breathing). Practice it for a minute for four to five times a day. It will relax you and prevent tension.
  • Also, closing your eyes, imagining that you are on a beach and then deep breathing is a simple and highly effective way to cool down in the midst of an anger episode. 
  • If you express your displeasure and the cause of your anger in words rather than in actions or high pitched tone, then there is nothing to fuel your anger.
  •  I advice you physical activities such as cycling, jogging, dancing or swimming daily for relaxing your body muscles because anger builds up  mostly in a tense body. Also, listening to music will help.
  • If you can learn and practice progressive muscle relaxation from a therapist, then it is excellent to prevent the anger episodes.
  • If it is frequent and to prevent complications in your relationships with others, then consult your psychiatrist doctor to begin medication and start therapy with your psychologist.

For further information consult a psychologist counsellor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychologist-counsellor

|