Q. I am having shortness of breath with low Hb, HCT, MCHC and RBC. Is this some form of anemia?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 26, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 30, 2019

I am having symptoms concurrent with anemia. I recently had a blood test done and my hemoglobin, MCHC, RBC, and HCT are low. RDW is high. Iron saturation is at the lowest end of normal. I am having problems with shortness of breath. Can this all be attributed to some form of anemia?

#

I have read your concern and below is my answer to your question. You are certainly having mild degree anemia in the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It could probably be an iron deficiency anemia as you have mentioned low iron and saturation. However, such a mild degree anemia cannot cause breathlessness. So, your dyspnea complaint is most probably not related to anemia. For dyspnea, primary workup that you can investigate with is digital chest X-ray PA view and EKG.

|