Q. I am having shortness of breath with low Hb, HCT, MCHC and RBC. Is this some form of anemia?

Published on Jul 26, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 30, 2019

I am having symptoms concurrent with anemia. I recently had a blood test done and my hemoglobin, MCHC, RBC, and HCT are low. RDW is high. Iron saturation is at the lowest end of normal. I am having problems with shortness of breath. Can this all be attributed to some form of anemia?

Hematology Pathology
#

I have read your concern and below is my answer to your question. You are certainly having mild degree anemia in the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It could probably be an iron deficiency anemia as you have mentioned low iron and saturation. However, such a mild degree anemia cannot cause breathlessness. So, your dyspnea complaint is most probably not related to anemia. For dyspnea, primary workup that you can investigate with is digital chest X-ray PA view and EKG.

What can be done for low RBC count in anemic?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is suffering from anemia. She was hospitalized with hemoglobin 4.6. After two units of blood transfusion, it came up to 6.8 and gone back to 6.3 after 10 days, then another unit was transfused. Endoscopy, colonoscopy, CT-scan have been done but no concrete reason was found. T...  Read Full »

2 years and 6 months old with abnormal CBC test results. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor, 2 years and 6 months old with abnormal CBC test results (two tests seven weeks apart). First tested because of enlarged lymph node (only one side) in neck. Node has reduced in size to what appears normal. Low MCHC (just barely outside range of 32.0 to 36.0) 31.3. Low NE % of 26.1 Auto...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now