Q. I am getting periods once in three months. Will it affect my fertility?

I am a 17-year-old female. I am not getting my periods regularly and they occur once every three months and sometimes even six months. I did not have sex ever still I am not getting my periods. I started getting my periods in my eighth grade, since then they have not been regular. Please do tell me the reason why am I not getting my periods regularly?

I consulted with two of the gynecologist. They prescribed me some medicines which were having very bad side effects on me. So I stopped taking them. I still had to know that will I be able to get my periods regularly like every month? And will it affect my future in any manner?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Do not worry, this is all normal. Now you are in a period of adolescence. Your hormonal levels are not fully mature. By around 20-21 years of age, you will have regular periods.

In a normal cycle, you should ovulate around the 14-15th day of periods. Always 14 days after ovulation you will get periods. In the initial few years, the hormones controlling this ovulation are not fully normal or mature, so you do not ovulate. So the bleeding which occurs every three to six months is not real periods. It may be light bleeding or heavy clots with pain or no pain at all.

I hope you have got thyroid profile and serum prolactin done (both in empty stomach, early morning sample). These hormones can affect ovulation. Even if not overweight try to reduce any mid-body obesity around waist, thighs, and breast. These fats can convert into hormones and affect ovulation.

Do not bother for a scan at this age. To control weight have regular aerobic exercise and brisk walking. Have regular dieting and high protein food. No fasting, no junk foods. Your weight should be height in cm -100 (for example: 156 cm - 100 = 56 kg). Do not worry about future problems.

| 

Will using Restreta tablet for three months cause hormonal imbalance?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old girl. I have very dry and dull skin. My dermatologist recommended me to use Restreta tablet for improving my complexion. I have to take it twice in a day before a meal. I want to know whether there will be any hormonal imbalance because of this tablet. Is it safe fo...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have irregular periods with pain in a 52-year-old female?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is facing pain at periodical time since 6 months and period facing two times in a month and it remains for 4 to 6 days. Although she never faced this situation before. My mother's age is 52 years now. What should she do now. Already visited two gynecologist and they advised ...  Read Full »

How to reduce weight through yoga?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old obese boy. My weight is 110 kg and I feel myself unfit. I want to start practicing yoga for weight loss. But, I do not know anything about yoga. I want to know, how to meditate and relax our body and mind?  Read Full »

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now