Q. I had itching and drops of blood in the anal area. What could it be?

Dr. Chandra Prakash Tanwar

I am a 22 year old male. A day or two ago after a bowel movement, I felt an itch in the anal area. I tried to get at it with a tissue but, it got worse and I could see small pellets of blood on the wipe. I am not on any medications.

#

• Blood streaks on the wipe after an episode of itching could be due to an anal fissure. Bleeding per rectum in an otherwise healthy young male could be due to hemorrhoids or anal fissure.
  • A fissure is a tear in the anal canal due to constipation or repeated friction. It presents chiefly as burning while defecation and blood drops.
  • Hemorrhoidal bleeding is like a splash of blood that is more in quantity and is typically painless.
  • A confirmed diagnosis can be made by a proper inspection and examination of the anal area and rectum. A physician can help you.
  • The treatment includes fiber supplementation or stool softeners like Bisacodyl or Isabgol (psyllium husk) powder with water.
  • A hot sitz bath (sitting in a tub of warm water) twice a day shall help.

You can revert to me for further queries. Regards.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|