Q. I am 35 weeks pregnant, can cholestasis be causing an itch on my stretch marks, arms, and thighs?

Answered by Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Itching During Pregnancy or Obstetric Cholestasis? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am 35 weeks pregnant. By last week my stretch marks were started to itch. So, my OG advised applying Calamine lotion (which does not contain antihistamine). It seemed to soothe the itching, but slowly the itching started spreading to my upper arms and thighs. Then she prescribed Avil tablet for two days and told to apply Caladryl lotion (which contains antihistamine) only on the itchy areas of my arms and thighs. It seemed to relieve the itch temporarily only. Once the effect of the lotion and tablet is off, I became itchy again. Finally, the OG prescribed Udihep 150 mg to be taken twice daily in the morning and night, suspecting it to be obstetric cholestasis. She also advised to take Avil tablet at night and to apply Calamine and Caladryl to soothe the itchy areas. I am on this regimen for the past four days, and the itch seems to have subsided a bit, but not completely.

I am also taking calcium supplements (Ostonate 250 mg twice a day), Astymin forte (vitamin supplement once a day), Fol 123 (at night) and Iron supplements (Orofer XT 100 mg two tablets at night). I have been on increased Iron supplements from the last four weeks because my hemoglobin dropped to 9 last month. Now it has improved to 10.5, but my doctor told to continue taking the prescribed two Iron supplements as only one month is left for delivery. My concern is will there be an interaction between the Udihep and the supplements I am taking? Or is there a possible chance that increased iron intake during the last month would have caused an additional stress on my liver leading to cholestasis? Kindly advise. I am attaching my hemoglobin blood test and urine routine reports.