I have itching on different parts of my body. Is it a sign of liver cirrhosis?

Q. I have itching on different parts of my body. Is it a sign of liver cirrhosis?

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2023

I have itching on my body since three days. It is not on one part. It happens in different parts of my body. I have a very fatty liver disease. Can it be related to the liver? I do not have any other symptoms of liver problem like yellow eyes. Can it be a sign of liver cirrhosis?

#

• Itching is a sign of obstructive jaundice only in case you are relating it to liver disease.
  • Since you have got your ultrasound done, it would have shown signs of obstruction, if any.
  • You need to find other causes of itching like thyroid disorder, diabetes, drugs, etc.
  • So, get your blood sugar and thyroid profile done and write back to me with the reports.
  • Also, do mention how long you have been having this itching and are there any red eruptions?

Revert with the asked details for a better help.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online.

I got an ultrasound done last year. Should I get it done again? I am prediabetic but my thyroid is alright. Can diabetes cause this? I have been having a lot of fruit juice.

#

• Yes, an increase in blood sugar can cause this.
  • My opinion for you would be to get the following tests done tomorrow and write to me with the reports:
  1. Fasting blood sugar and postprandial blood sugar.
  2. HbA1c.
  3. Liver function test.
  4. TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone).
  5. Ultrasound (if required). I shall guide you based on these reports.

I will get them done. I took Levocetirizine and the itching got better. But, it comes back if I stop the dose. I hope this is not due to liver.

#

• I do not think this is due to any liver problem. However, getting the tests as suggested by me would help me better in diagnosing you.
  • I would also recommend you to continue with Levocetirizine.

I hope it helps you. If you have any further queries, please ask me.

Please find the attached test reports.

#

Your reports are not good (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity).

• Your liver enzymes are raised and that is probably the reason for your itching.
  • Your uric acid and cholesterol are also high.
  • To guide you through the treatment, I would first of all need to know if you consume alcohol. If yes, then what is the quantity and frequency?

I do not consume alcohol at all. Is the liver causing the itching? What can I do for that?

#

• If you do not consume alcohol and have not even consumed it in the recent past, I would recommend you test for hepatitis B and C.
  • I suggest the following drugs:
  1. Tablet Udiliv (Ursodiol) 300 twice a day.
  2. Tablet LCZ 5 mg (Levocetirizine) at night.
  3. Tablet Foxstat 40 mg (Febuxostat) once daily at night for uric acid.
  • Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.
  • Get the HBsAg and anti HCV antibody tests for hepatitis B and C and write back with the reports.

My hepatitis B and C, both came alright. Can I take anything for itching right now?

#

• Yes, you can take tablet Allegra 120 (Fexofenadine) in the morning and tablet LCZ (Levocetirizine) 5 at night.

If you have any further query please ask me.

|