Q. As I do not have a child, IUD was contraindicated. Why?

Dr. Prathap
This is a premium question & answer published on May 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 11, 2021

I am a 24 year old female, who recently had a medical abortion. I need to know about the safe contraceptive methods, as my husband is allergic to condoms. I have asked about IUD to few doctors, and they said that I should not use it because I do not have a child. I wanted to know the reason behind this. And what other options do I have? I cannot take pills daily.

#

• IUD (intrauterine device) is contraindicated for a nulliparous woman, due to difficulty in insertion of the device and its impact on further fertility. One of the important, but rare complication of IUD is that the future fertility rate is decreased in a few.
  • I suggest you use female barrier methods like female condoms, vaginal diaphragms, etc.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I read somewhere that pills can affect my fertility and can even cause abnormalities for my future baby. Is it true? Also, it is not easy to remember taking pills every day, as I have a very busy schedule.

#

• It is not true. Contraceptives selection is a difficult task, and it is based on many factors like age, the number of children, comorbid illnesses, etc.
  • For you, the appropriate one is OCP (oral contraceptive pill) as you are young, nulliparous, and do not have any comorbidities.
  • Female barrier methods are also safe and recommended.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|