Q. Is it normal to bleed at 6 weeks of pregnancy after IVF?

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane

I am almost 6 weeks pregnant and today I saw a bit bleed when I wipe it with a tissue paper.

FET was done 20 days after my LMP. Three embryos were transferred (blastocyst). My hCG taken between two consecutive days was 494, 886 and 2597 respectively. Is small amount of bleed normal? I am confused. Please help.

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane

Childbirth Educator Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It could be implantation bleeding. If you are taking any blood thinner like low molecular weight Heparin, Ecosprin then stop immediately. Also inform the hospital where you are taking treatment, so that additional progesterone and hCG support can be added to avoid abortion.

Also, take complete rest, do not bend from the waist a lot. Continue taking other medicines and injections except for blood thinner.

| 

I am taking Ecosprin 75 mg. Implantation has already happened rite? That how I am 6 weeks pregnant. What could be the possible reason for that blood? I am on vaginal progesterone and no injections. I read few blogs online it is common to get bleed when uterus expands. Is that true? Please reply.

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane

#

Stop taking ecosprin. Now the pregnancy is small. It is not occupying the whole uterus so from other part of uterus (where pregnancy is not implanted), such bleeding can occur. Also, implantation takes time.

It is common but since this is IVF (in vitro fertilization) pregnancy you need to be vigilant. observe whether it is increased or stopped. If increased, do not wait at home. Visit the doctor as soon as possible.

Continue progesterone, folic acid and also inform the hospital too. Tablet Tranexamic acid 500 mg twice a day for three days can be started to stop bleeding.

| 

AMH value is 1.1 ng/ml. Can I go for IVF/ICSI cycle?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 38 years old and got married 12 years ago. Underwent 3 fresh IVF cycles and 3 FET cycles during the last four years. Underwent tubal pregnancy four years back. For the past two years with medium endometriosis. My present AMH value is 1.1 ng/ml. A blood test was taken last week. S...  Read Full »

I am bleeding during pregnancy. Can this lead to miscarriage?

Query: Hello doctor, I am female, 20 years old, 5'2" and 45.3 kg. I am pregnant but during my ultrasound, there is no embryo and yolk sac. My uterus is seven weeks and three days having 3.1 mm. Seven days after the ultrasound I had bleeding but it was light, the color was dark red, brown or black and it w...  Read Full »

I am bleeding during pregnancy. Should I discontinue Heparin injection?

Query: Hello doctor, I am eight weeks and six days pregnant and am currently on LMWH (Inj Innohep 40 mg) as tests prior to pregnancy indicated a positive ANA. I have a history of a previous mid-trimester miscarriage which was believed to be due to an incompetent cervix, and so have been on vaginal progest...  Read Full »

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now