Q. Jock itch on my inner thighs turned more red on using Betnovate cream. Please help.

Dr. Shama Naaz
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 16, 2021

I have an itchy red patch jock itch on my inner thighs for the past four weeks. I have tried using Cloben G, Candid B, and Betnovate as prescribed by the doctor. After using these medicines, it has grown and turned out red. Please help.

#

Jock itch is caused due to fungal infection. It is also called tinea cruris. First, I suggest you stop taking the above-mentioned creams because they contain steroids. It causes severe and resistant skin infections that are difficult to be treated. You can use antifungal creams containing Luliconazole twice daily over the infection for two weeks. Have a follow-up after two weeks.

I have started using Luliconazole cream 1%. I have stretch marks on the affected area. Please suggest a medication. I am following the precautionary measures mentioned above.

#

Try to focus on healing the fungal infection and after resolving the active lesion, you can treat the stretch marks. Please mention whether you have any liver, kidney problems, hypertension or diabetes.

You have a fungal infection.

You can do LFT (liver function test) and KFT (kidney function test).

You can apply Amrolstar cream (Amorolfine) during day time after cleaning the area. Apply Pilzban cream (oxiconazole) during nighttime.

Have a follow-up with the reports of LFT (liver function test) and KFT (kidney function test).

I do not have any kidney problems, hypertension or diabetes.

#

You can apply the topical medication as mentioned above and you can take an antihistamine tablet if you have itching. Have a follow-up with the reports of the LFT (liver function test) so that oral antifungal treatment can be given.

You need to do liver function test.

You can apply the cream as mentioned above. If you have severe itching, you can take Desloratadine 5 mg after taking food.

Have a follow-up with the reports of LFT (liver function test).

As mentioned above, I have started using the prescribed medications. But there is no improvement till now. My redness got worse and I have increased itching now. I have not taken any antihistamine tablets. I have done the LFT test. All the parameters are normal except I had an alkaline phosphatase of 52 U/L. Please suggest.

#

I have gone through the LFT report and it is fine. You have redness and itching due to usage of steroid creams and it has made your skin thin and sensitive. Even after applying antifungal creams, you have redness and itching. If it causes more itching, then stop applying antifungal creams for now. You can use MF Sudif cream (Mometasone with Fusidic acid) twice daily on the red areas for three days and then stop it. Have a follow-up after three days. You can take Desloratadine 5 mg at night. After getting subsided from redness, you can start using anti-fungal creams.

You have a fungal infection.

Have a follow-up after three days.

My redness and itching got reduced after using MF Sudif cream and Desloratadine. But still, I have my stretch marks. Can I start using Amrolstar and Pilzban? Please suggest.

#

Your redness and itching got subsided. But still, you have stretch marks. You can consult a dermatologist for having a proper evaluation of your condition.

|