Q. Kindly suggest medicines for itchiness on the scrotum and surrounding area.

Dr. V Srikanth Reddy
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I have itching on the scrotum, penis, and surrounding area (sometimes on my hips). I used creams (not regularly) now it has become severe. My skin has peeled off, dried, and has red marks, and itch very badly. When I scratch it, the skin again peels off. I found that it is " Jock itch." My doctor recommends me some medicines and soap that are expensive. Can you please recommend me some generic medicine and also tell me about the diet I should follow?

#

You may be suffering from a fungal infection that commonly affects the inner thighs, groin, and buttocks area. It can be treated by a course of antifungal treatment, which includes tablets along with creams. Do not use soap over that area. Mistreatment with over-the-counter steroid containing creams like FourDerm (Clobetasol Propionate, Neomycin Sulphate, Miconazole Nitrate and Chlorhexidine Gluconate), Panderm (Terbinafine, Clobetasol, Ofloxacin and Ornidazole), Quadriderm (Beclometasone,Neomycin and Clotrimazole), Dermi5 (Clobetasol Propionate, Gentamycin, Tolnafate, Iodochlorhydroxyquinoline and Ketoconazole), Betnovate, Dermikem OC, Candid-B, etc., lead to repeated cases of recurrence and also side effects due to application. Do not use steroid-containing combination creams. Please call me or contact me using the online consultation option with the photos for a detailed prescription. Do not delay the treatment as it may spread further on to your body and also to other people living in the household. You can use the composition of medication prescribed by your doctor, and the brand of medication also matters as all generic ones are not that perfect.

|