Q. Please suggest a permanent cure for jock itch.

Dr. Gulhima Arora
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have jock itch from one and a half years. I consulted a dermatologist, who gave me medicines, which cured the itch. My mother told me to consult a homeopathic doctor. So, the homeopathic doctor gave me some medicines, which made the jock itch larger in the same place. I am taking the homeopathic medicines from nine months, and I have tried apple vinegar, aloe vera gel, and baking powder, but nothing helps. Please, suggest medicines which will cure this jock itch permanently. And please suggest the right diet for me. Thank you.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

• I would appreciate you giving me a little more detailed history regarding your symptoms, whether you have itching or burning, whether there is a ring in the groin area or just a black mark remaining and preferably a picture of the skin problem.
  • Having said that, homeopathy is known to flare up a condition before subsiding it. Hence, I would advise you not to mix two modalities of treatment, and either stick to homeopathy and give it time to settle or continue only with allopathy.
  • Home remedies are a complete no, as they can cause a superadded irritant contact dermatitis, and complicate the condition more. This is an infection, and can always come up again, but you should take proper medication for a proper duration of time as suggested by your dermatologist, to make sure of complete clearance of the present episode.
  • Please get a blood sugar test done to make sure you are not a diabetic if it is not subsiding. There are no dietary restrictions if it is a jock itch. I suggest you consult a local dermatologist or send me a picture with your symptoms for confirmation of diagnosis.
  • If it is a fungal infection, I suggest tablet Itraconazole 100 mg twice a day after food for two weeks. Apply a very thin layer of Ketoconazole cream twice a day for six weeks. Do not keep the area moist. Do not apply any powder.

Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Yes, the lesion is a circle with a red circumference. I have attached the photo of the lesion. I completed the course of medicines, as prescribed by my previous dermatologist. How long should I take these medicines? Should not I continue both allopathy and homeopathy? Thank you.

#

Thanks for the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• I have already informed you about the duration of using these medicines. Please consult me again for a follow-up, where I will tell you how to maintain your skin.
  • Do not take allopathy and homeopathy together.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|