Q. What could be the reason for my grandfather's shoulder and joint pains?

Dr. Divakara P
Published on Dec 26, 2016

My grandfather is 75 years old. He has severe pain in his right shoulder joint and bilateral wrist joints, especially more at night for the past two months. Just before a month, he was diagnosed as diabetic. His C-reactive protein level is 64 (reference value 0-6). Is it possible to have such a high value? Please explain his problem. He cannot lift his shoulder more than the medium height.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

• It could be either due to arthritis or as a consequence of viral infection in the recent past.
  • I recommend him to get the following tests done and revert back with reports. CRP (C-reactive protein), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), serum uric acid, serum RA factor (rheumatoid arthritis) and x-ray of shoulder joint.

For further information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Would viral infection affect the lymphocyte and neutrophil values?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a viral infection last week. Is it normal to have increased lymphocyte levels of 52 % and decreased neutrophil levels of 35 % after having a viral infection? It got healed within a week. I was fine when I did my blood test. My RBC and WBC are considered to be normal. As I have anemi...  Read Full »

Can a viral infection increase the ESR level?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old male. My recent blood report shows high ESR level (48 mm/hr). I am having a cough, fever, and a headache since eight days. The doctor told me that I have a viral infection, and has given me antibiotics and a cough syrup. Please guide.  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now