Q. What is the reason for swelling and pain in joints with disability to walk?

Dr. Ella Maponya
Published on Dec 03, 2018

I am having severe joint pains for two days. Initially, I had a fever. but now it has subsided but unable to move or walk freely as all joints seemed swollen.

Dr. Ella Maponya

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Acute generalized joint pain is an uncomfortable problem that needs attention as soon as possible especially because you are unable to move or walk freely. Diseases that can cause the kind of joint pain you are having include Gout where uric acid forms crystals that deposit in the joints causing inflammation and pain, arthritis-like septic arthritis and psoriatic arthritis, infection of the joints, joint injuries.

Treatment of painful swollen joints depends on the problem or diagnosis. It can include non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for pain and swelling, steroid medications are taken for a short period of time to reduce pain and swelling of the joints. The steroids block the inflammatory chemicals in the body. Acute gout can be treated with medication that reduces uric acid like Colchicine, antibiotics if the pain and swelling are caused by infectious causes to stop the infection, surgery if your pain is caused by injury. It will help if you are checked and assessment is done so that more history can be given and correct diagnosis can be made.

Arthritis in Its Many Forms

Article Overview: Arthritis is defined as the inflammation of a joint. There are various types of arthritis and despite their similarities, they can be differentiated from one another based on a number of factors. Early detection and treatment of each kind are important for conserving the functions of the joints involved. Read Article

Dr. Mashfika N Alam
Rheumatologist

What to think when you have a swollen, red and painful joint? Here are some of the common conditions that cause a swollen painful joint. 1. Gout It is a condition characterized by the deposition of monosodium urate crystals in the joint. Commonly affected joints are - the first metatarsophalangeal...  Read Article

How can arthritis be confirmed?

Query: Hello doctor, Kindly confirm if I am arthritic from the available reports.  Read Full >>

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Could you provide me with some of your symptoms? I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your inflammation markers are very high (erythrocyte sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein). So, it does indicate either there is ...  Read Full

Do Not Ignore Arthritis Symptoms!!

Article Overview: This article stresses upon the fact that, when signs of arthritis appear, one should approach a doctor as early as possible for appropriate treatment. Read Article

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Rheumatologist

Inflammatory arthritis is a common problem in females between the age group 20-50 years. It is characterized by swelling of the joints, early morning stiffness and pain which is constant and little relieved by work and use of painkillers. It is an autoimmune condition, i.e, body's immune system st...  Read Article